Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: DIY reconning.

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Maulana's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 2nd, 2007
    Posts
    25
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello Folks,
    Can anyone give me some advice on how to recone a 604-E? Just got a kit set from GPA . Have already removed the horn and do not know what to do next! Thanks in advance.
    Maulana

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    DIY reconning.


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    RED FLAG!

    Just not knowing what to do next scares me about giving you any advice other than send eveerything to Great Plains.

    Did I mention you should send it to Great Plains?

    Please re -read the above.
    If after that you want to go ahead, here are basic generic reconing instructions.

    http://www.paacoustic.com/low_type2.asp

    Did I mention you should send it to Great Plains?


    I can't repeat that enogh. You should learn on a junk speaker, not an Altec.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Old Guy's precautions are wise, and I'm sure were made with your best interest in mind. However, with shipping considerations in mind from Malasia, I'd suggest seeing if there is a nearby reconer that will do the job with your provided parts (many won't).

    The job is not particularly difficult, but does require attention to detail, and a "touch" that can only be aquired through practice and experience to yield results approaching original. Also, having never reconed a 604 myself, I don't know if it will require doping the surround after assembly or not, but if it does, the proper doping compound isn't included in the kit. Kits are normally only sold to pro reconers who already have the proper adhesives and dopes on hand.

    That said, if you have to do it yourself, the following Altec procedure will help, but doesn't include anything particular to the 604. Note that the adhesives recommended are mostly no longer available, but using the right adhesive in the right place is very important too.

    http://www.cpcaudio.com/altec_lansin...f_recone_1.pdf

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    DIY reconning.


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    I guess Malaysia would be expensive. I was just scared about helping someone make a mistake- always best to proceed with cuation in unknown waters.

    I've reconed a few speakers. But I wouldn't trust myself on an expensive 604 kit.

    BTW how ya been? I'm still around, defying medical science.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Doin' fine, OG, thx for askin'.

    I can relate to not wanting to lead anyone to disappointment, I don't either. I vividly remember my own drive-ya-to-drink experiences after ignoring similar sage advice. Some of us are bound and determined that the only way to learn is the hard way, some by necessity, others by plain old stubborness. forums

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Maulana's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 2nd, 2007
    Posts
    25
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi folks,
    Many thanks for the good advices. You guys are truly generous in sharing your knowledge and guiding greenhorn like myself, to a better understanding of this hobby. I'll send it to our local reconman to do the job. Once again, thanks.
    Maulana.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.